Fetters Setters ~ Tributes and Memories: May 29th, 1990: Letter from Paul Long

Thursday, September 2, 2010

May 29th, 1990: Letter from Paul Long

Over the years, John received dozens of letters from Paul Long, a tribute to whom is below. This is just one of those letters which portrays the unbridled wit and singular character which was Paul Long's own.

We plan to publish more of these letters, in one format or another, in the future. In the meantime, here is just one, with the typed text and thumbnails below the text of the actual letter.

One of the charming characteristics of Paul Long's letters, for anyone who ever received one, is that he always uses the day of the week he is writing it, and a sort of abbreviated weather condition, rather than the more common date, month and year.

This particular letter is Postmarked May 29th, 1990:

Monday a.m.
Raining

Dear Johny,

Last Friday I believe your letter came at time I had (2) fellows sawing down pine trees, 17 in all was afraid one or two would land on Mobile Home or kennel. The last tree they fell a branch landed on Utility Lines. Cut power all over neighborhood for a couple of miles. The branch went afire hanging on wire. Part fell and landed on some dry brush, set it afire. Firemen called, put it out. Utility Co. fixed wire, tightened lines and things returned to normal. What a day, was so tired did not open mail till next night. Down here with Hugo a fire could set N.C. afire trees are down everywhere you can not get into the woods. They have a plane on hold to carry water to throw on fire. Was I glad when it was over. More so than a dog running up a brood of grouse.

Am glad you liked the pictures when your granddad got together with George Ryman they sure knew how to start the fireworks between Harry Tinker and Elias. Back in those days thats what happened when old rascals got together to talk hunting and dogs. Thought I was in the middle of a cock fight. I would give some thought to what your friend Richard said and agree you should put your name on the dogs you raise.

Late July will be a wonderful time to come down. I always enjoy seeing your setters on birds. They bring back memories of the days when Elias and I trained Ryman dogs for George. I will have plenty of young birds and weather will be ideal to work the dogs.

Right now I am working on pidgeons and teaching whoa. My good friend Jack Stewart from Farwell Mich gave me a Tri-Tronics Bird Releaser. He invented them.

Last week went down to Myrtle Beach S.C. to the Quaker Oats Seminar and met hundreds of my old acquaintances. At the Seminar they honored George Tracy for winning so many trials during 1989. I had a wonderful time. First time I seen the ocean in years. Also the bathing beauties were nice. Take your family there once, they will enjoy it.

I'm glad Bill is coming with you and glad he is feeling better. And lastly for a smile.

Friend to Friend said one to the other. You have a suppository in your ear. Gosh said his friend, I thought it was my hearing aid.

Best

Paul

Click on thumbnails below for full-sized version of actual letter

No comments:

Post a Comment